Bachelor of Science
Prepare to work in careers related to public health and make a positive impact on quality of life for individuals and communities.
The Bachelor of Science in Public Health is designed to promote an understanding of health and disease based on public health principles. The curriculum provides general knowledge regarding public health principles and practice. Fieldwork provides students with an experience that incorporates classroom learning into public health practice and prepares them for future employment.
Successful applicants will be admitted to Pre-Public Health. Requirements to progress to the Public Health professional major include:
- University of Arizona GPA greater than 2.5.
- Completion of all pre-health prerequisite courses with a grade of C or higher. Students may have up to 5 units of prerequisites still outstanding at the time of application.
- Completion of the major application, including resume and statement of objectives.
Prerequisites can be found using the Public Health Curriculum Guide.
Wondering about the specific classes you can take in this program? See the course descriptions below.
- HPS 350: Principles of Health Education and Health Promotion - This course introduces the student to the discipline and profession of health education. Students will examine the concepts of health and wellness, the determinants of health behavior, national health status, the history of health education and health promotion. The student will recognize health education as an important foundation for population-based health care.
- EPID 309: Introduction to Epidemiology - This course will introduce students to basic principles and methods used in epidemiology. The course will include basic research designs, estimating outcome measures, and establishing cause and effect and effectiveness of interventions to prevent and cure disease.
- HPS 493A: Field work in Public Health - Specialized work on an individual basis, consisting of training and practice in actual service in a technical, business, or governmental establishment.