What's it like to be a student in an online course?
An online student is expected to:
- Participate in the online course 3 - 5 days a week
- Work with others in completing projects
- Use the technology properly
- Meet the minimum standards as set forth by the institution
- Complete assignments on time
- Effectively communicate in writing
- Explore new technologies
How will online courses fit with your personality, lifestyle, learning style and educational needs?
Consider that good students in the traditional setting may fair poorly in an online environment, while struggling students may excel with online courses. This can be explained in part due to differences in learning styles. Visual, self-directed learners do well at online learning, but others succeed because online instructional design is often sophisticated and planned to reach a wide variety of learners. Lifestyles play a big role in the success of online learners too.
Here are some of the traits that successful online students possess, to varying degrees:
- Comfortable with computers
- Like to read and write
- Able to use email, Internet browser, word processor
- Able to stay on task